The 15th Meeting of the EAST Expert Group on ATM and ATS Physical Attacks (EGAP) took place on Wednesday 3rd March 2021. Due to the Covid-19 situation, it was conducted as a virtual meeting and was chaired by Graham Mott of the LINK Scheme.
The meeting was attended by 54 key representatives from Law Enforcement, Terminal Deployers, ATM Networks and Security Equipment Vendors.
- Europol gave a central assessment of the ATM physical attack situation in Europe.
- The ECB gave an update on the latest bank notes in circulation, cash usage statistics, and Intelligent Banknote Neutralisation Systems (IBNS) used in the Euro area.
- National Threat Assessments were shared by representatives from 17 countries:
|Country||Update(s) Given By|
|Austria||Criminal Intelligence Service|
|Finland||Automatia / National Bureau of Investigation|
|France||Gendarmerie - OCLDI|
|Hungary||National Bureau of Investigation|
|Ireland||An Garda Siochana|
|Luxembourg||Service de Police Judiciare|
|Poland||National Police HQ|
|Portugal||Policia Judiciare / Policia de Seguranca Publica|
|Romania||Romanian Police - CID|
|Spain||Guardia Civil / Autonomous Police of Catalonia|
|Switzerland||Federal Office of Police (FEDPOL)|
|United Kingdom||SaferCash / West Midlands Police (ROCU)|
Experts from the following organisations also particpated in the meeting: ATM Safe, Barclays, Cennox, Diebold Nixdorf, Feerica S.A., Gunnebo, HSBC, Malta Police Force, NCR, Oberthur Cash Protection, Payment Services Austria (PSA), Petersen-Bach A/S, Professional Witnesses Group, Spinnaker, Swedish Police, TMD Security.
EAST EGAP is a European specialist expert forum for discussion of ATM, ATS and CIT related physical attack trends, attack methodologies and counter-measures, threat protection, and for the provision of regularly updated lists of manufacturers of ATM protective devices. The latest lists can be downloaded from the ‘Stained Banknotes’ page on this website (bottom of page).
The Group meets twice each year to enable in-depth and technical discussion to take place. The areas covered include:
- The latest incidents and criminal MOs
- The collection and distribution of best practice guidelines
- The evolution of threats and counter-measures
- Lessons from and on law enforcement